|Call Type||Proposals / Public Art|
|Entry Dates||1/20/21, 12:00 AM - 3/1/21, 12:00 AM 5 Days Left|
International Invitation to Create in Art Lot
Brooklyn 11231 United States
Yvonne Shortt (artist/mathematician) is collaborating with Jenna Boldebuck (industrial designer) and Kelly Li (architect) to create small invitation spaces. Can you create a design for another invitation space? Selected design will receive a $250 award.
What are Invitation Spaces?
They are small structures made of cinder blocks to showcase a sculpture. The structures should invite self-reflection and dialogue.
About the featured sculptures:
The sculptures come from the African American Marbleization - An Act of Civil Disobedience series by Yvonne Shortt. The series celebrates people of color, our culture, and objects we use. The sculptures are either fired in a kiln, or cast in marble dust. Sometimes the clay used is harvested from creeks.
What are the parameters?
1. Use cinder blocks, as few units as possible. (Cinder block size comes in full: 15 5/8” (397mm) x 7 5/8” (194mm) x 7 5/8”(194mm) and half: 7 5/8” (194mm) x 7 5/8” (194mm) x 7 5/8”(194mm) size) Design shouldn’t be wider than 8 feet.
2. Have at least one cinder block for a sculpture to attach to.
3. Have a structure to hold water.
4. Have a place for a person to sit.
5. Include a description about your idea.
6. Submit your design as: an obj file or image file. It could be hand or ditigal drawings. If you are submitting it as 2D drawings, make sure to include a top and side view.
7. If you are using materials other than cinder blocks, they should enhance but not be the main component.
SUBMIT YOUR DESIGN TO:
Who can participate?
Any creative person anywhere in the world can participate. Selected designs will be built and installed in Art Lot. We will work with you on the design details. You are not required to be present at the time of installation.